These paintings were originally the wings of the ‘Last Judgement’ (Wallraf-Richartz Museum, Cologne). The retable may possibly have been made for the altar of the St Catherine Brotherhood founded in 1435 in St Aposteln’s, to which the two kneeling donors belonged. In the early nineteenth century the panels were sawn into the corresponding number of apostle scenes (Städel, Frankfurt am Main). The fronts were divided from the reverse paintings and the saint series ultimately fitted together again. Thanks to the recently completed restoration the pictures have regained their high quality. The now black backgrounds originally included little blue clouds.