The two paintings (see inv. no. WAF 1028), which originally finished in pointed arches, formed the side panels of a larger altarpiece. The specific choice of the saints Benedict and Romuald in white habits suggests that the works were created for a Camaldolese monastery. They probably originally decorated the high altar in Santa Maria degli Angeli, the largest convent belonging to this branch of the Order of St Benedict in Florence. About fifty years after its completion, the altarpiece was moved to a chapel commissioned by Gherardo di Benedetto degli Alberti. The depiction of St Giovanni Gualberto, originally on the far right, was therefore changed into the seldom portrayed Gerard of Villamagna.