The outer panels of the Crucifixion Altarpiece (see inv. no. 5329, 5330, 5331, 5372), which were separated from the inner panels sometime soon after 1822, show St Sigismund and St George in a domed pavilion. The architectural structure combines Lombardian motifs with those of Venetian painting, which Burgkmair may have seen during an Italian journey historians assume he made in 1507. The saints refer to the presumed donor, Georg Peutinger, a citizen of Augsburg and doctor of both civil and church law. St George was his namesake, St Sigismund that of his brother, Sigmund III, and of his uncle, Sigmund Peutinger II, who upon his death had left his two nephews a handsome bequest.