This altarpiece was made for the family chapel in the Augustinian monastery in Cologne of Gerhard van Wesel, the mayor of Cologne many times, and his third wife, Adelheid Bischof. This donation is mentioned in the chronicle for the period around 1509. The eclipse that could be seen in Central Europe on 1 October 1502 and is realistically depicted in the painting would support this late date. The right wing (inv. no. WAF 224) belongs to this altarpiece; the left wing is now in the Musées royaux des Beaux-Arts de Belgique in Brussels.